Community Colleges have the potential to be the great equalizer. Their costs are low and their students are exactly the kind of people who want to enter the middle class. Many students are balancing their studies with full-time jobs. We should invest in our Community Colleges to make attending them cost-free or nearly so as an elevator to the middle class.
Problems to be Solved
- There is a skills gap between skills needed for open positions and skills possessed by those looking for work
- Community colleges, though cheaper than other options, still present significant expenses for students trying to gain skills
As President, I will…
- Work to fund community colleges to a point where they can provide free (or drastically reduced) tuition to anyone from the community (especially those taking vocational classes)
- Expand what classes are defined as vocational classes, especially into IT and computer science fields
- Work to create tax incentives for businesses who invest in their local community colleges and provide co-working opportunities