Police officers do a dangerous job every day and deserve our support. Having a camera will help both the public and the police officer resolve complaints. It’s 2018 and it’s now possible to equip police officers with more advanced equipment than ever before. We should invest in making our police officers as effective as possible while truly being servants and protectors of the communities they serve.
Problems to be Solved
Police officers have dozens of interactions each day that would benefit from being recorded.
As President, I will…
- Authorize federal funding to pay for a body camera for every officer in every police department in the country.
- Have the DOJ compile accurate composite measurements, including from private sources, of police-related incidents and deaths to establish baseline rates.
- Provide federal funding for training of local police officers in the latest techniques.
- Encourage community-based policing and reward departments for a combination of low complaints and continued efficacy.
- Re-establish the ban on distributing surplus unnecessary military-level artillery gear to police departments.
- Invest in new non-lethal weaponry that can be used to de-escalate conflicts at range and handprint signature guns so that weapons can only be used by their officers (‘he reached for my gun’ will no longer apply).