Right now most of us dread paying taxes for good reason. None of us has time to figure out where the receipts are and what we owe, and we’re constantly stressed that we’re screwing things up or leaving money on the table. Turning us into a nation of tax experts is a ridiculous waste of citizen time and energy. The IRS should be able to tell us how much we owe and automatically file our taxes for us. Every time we do something that we think is tax-relevant, we should just forward it to a particular email address or account and it gets added in. Taxes are a perfect candidate for automation and artificial intelligence because there are clear rules to follow. Let’s use technology to simplify all of our lives and focus on more important things.
Problems to be Solved
- Preparing your taxes is a difficult process that requires hours of time, expensive software or paid specialists
- Going through an audit is stressful and expensive, and if you did anything wrong, it’s most likely unintentional
As President, I will…
- Instruct the IRS to implement a system whereby any American can opt into a program to have their taxes filed automatically.
- Instruct the IRS to coordinate with the Treasury to prepare a report on federal spending, and send each taxpayer a rundown of the actual amount of their taxes that went to each major spending area (e.g., domestic programs, foreign aid, military, etc).
- Increase the budget of the IRS by 50% to $16.2 billion and modernize it with the latest technology. Money spent on the IRS will almost certainly pay for itself many times over via better tax compliance and less wasted time of citizens. Running the country like a business means both taking care of constituents and collecting revenue as seamlessly and efficiently as possible.