Americans are not doing well, and we need to change it. My brother is a psychology professor and I believe strongly in the power of counseling and treatment to improve people’s mental and emotional well-being. One major priority is to integrate mental health with our greater health care system – if someone comes to the hospital suffering from diabetes, obesity or substance abuse, there is often a link to their holistic mental health. Too many Americans don’t seek treatment, don’t have the resources, or resort to self-medication. A healthy population is a productive one. We will do all we can to establish a sense of well-being for millions who are currently suffering and remove the stigma from depression in particular.
Problems to be Solved
- There is currently a mental health crisis in America as suicides, anxiety and depression are at record highs.
- Mental health is often treated as a separate set of issues and resources rather than integrated into the greater health care system
- Many communities lack access to psychologists and social workers
- Mental health issues continue to be stigmatized
As President, I will…
- Begin a national anti-stigma campaign for mental health issues, “Everybody Needs Help Sometimes.”
- Encourage major health care systems to integrate mental health professionals into their primary care
- Initiate mandatory coverage for postpartum depression screening for new mothers
- Increase resources and incentives for counselors, social workers and psychologists in rural areas
- Invest in AI counselors and other technology that may be helpful in identifying and treating mental health issues across a broad population. The AI would refer issues to a human psychologist.
- Promote the use of AI for social workers
- Promote the use of AI and telecounseling for those who need a psychologist
- Explore revision of licensing requirements that limit the supply of treatment providers
- Provide robust incentives via a “Race to the Top” for health care systems to improve mental health outcomes and preventative care holistically