There are many communities that are underbanked throughout the U.S. that have to rely upon payday lenders. However, virtually every community has a post office, which are now looking for new sources of revenue and support. We should allow U.S. Postal Offices to provide check cashing, savings accounts, wiring money and other basic financial services.
In other countries, you can get a lot done at the Post Office aside from mail. We should follow suit here in the U.S.—it would reduce costs for consumers, make Post Offices more vital, and provide financial services in rural areas.
Problems to be Solved
- Millions of Americans do not have access to basic, affordable financial services.
- Post offices are community hubs that could use new activities and revenues.
- Broaden access to quality, low-cost financial services
- Support the operation of post offices around the country
As President, I will…
- Enable the U.S. Postal Service to offer basic financial services at low rates in communities around the country.
- Encourage post offices to stay open until 8 pm on Tuesdays to accommodate customers.