We produce a lot of packaging waste in the US. Our recycling efforts are becoming less effective at the same time as demand for our waste products goes down. We should include the true cost of packaging to manufacturers so that we can improve best practices. Reusable containers are cool.
Problems to be Solved
- Packaging, and especially plastic packaging, generates costs that aren’t currently borne by either the manufacturers of the products or the consumers purchasing them. This removes the incentive to minimize wasteful packaging habits.
- We don’t currently have the capacity to dispose of or recycle the amount of waste plastic (and other materials) generated in this country.
As President, I will…
- Direct the EPA to research and promote the best means of reducing wasteful packaging practices, with a focus on making manufacturers bear the true costs of their packaging.
- This can be modeled after recent bills in Indiana and Washington State.
- Work with Congress to pass a bill implementing the best practices as defined by the group.