Regulate AI and other Emerging Technologies
Artificial Intelligence and other new technologies have the potential to change our economy and society in unpredictable ways. Even techies don’t know what’s going to happen. We need to have government hand-in-hand with technologists to make sure that we fully understand the impact of AI and other innovations before they’re widely adopted in different settings—which means recruiting some of the smartest technologists to work in government and having government actively consulting with innovators.
Problems to be Solved
- Technology is developing faster than government can analyze the impact and enforce regulations
- Even those developing technologies often have no idea what impact they have on humanity
- Human technical knowledge is quickly reaching the point where there are many existential threats that could develop without us fully understanding said threat
As President, I will…
- Create a new executive department – the Department of Technology – to work with private industry and Congressional leaders to monitor technological developments, assess risks, and create new guidance. The new Department would be based in Silicon Valley and would initially be focused on Artificial Intelligence.
- Create a new Cabinet-level position of Secretary of Technology who will be tasked with leading the new Department.
- Create a public-private partnership between leading tech firms and experts within government to identify emerging threats and suggest ways to mitigate those threats while maximizing the benefit of technological innovation to society.